1. Susan
    October 7, 2011 at 8:21 am

With a lead like that, I almost did not read the rest of the article- the first 2 sentences are offensive and I can’t you could not find any other way to introduce this stellar person.

Perhaps your next post will be about a man and lead it with “‘Joe Blow is well hung’ said a colleague, but he wasn’t referring to physical traits….”
    sheesh!

2. Mike Ashenfelder
    October 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thank you for reading the blog. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Dr. Tibbo is indeed a stellar person and it was my intention to communicate her expansive character, not only as an internationally influential academic and information technologist but also as a down-to-earth person…someone who doesn’t take herself too seriously and who is open to casual joshing. I intended the opening sentence to be a little jarring and humorous because the article is dense with high praise and reverence for Dr. Tibbo’s admirable achievements. Before publication, I asked her about specifically about that opening line; she approved it and said it made her laugh.

I certainly meant no disrespect to Dr. Tibbo or any readers of the story. I’m glad that you did read through the rest of the article. There was so much to write about Dr. Tibbo, so many projects that she is involved in, but given the restrictions we have on the length of our articles I had to edit out many additional impressive and valuable facts about her.

Again, thank you for reading the Library’s blog, and I sincerely hope you continue to do so in the future.

3. Amanda
    October 28, 2011 at 10:58 am

This is a good read for me. Thank you for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for. I will come back to this website for sure.
    Law Websites

4. Sass
    October 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I agree with Susan, with the amendment that the first two paragraphs are disrespectful. Fortunately, I scrolled past this to the meat of the article which was quite interesting and useful.

5. JacksonA
    October 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I am going to err on the side of generosity for a moment and assume that all you really meant to say was that Helen Tibboo is a cutting-edge, stereotype-defying pioneer in the the field of archival education. However, there was no worse possible way to depict her character than in the cliched and grossly stereotypical manner that you have chosen. Like yourself, I am a West Coast transplant. I now live in a town that was actually founded by Miles Standish and has produced two US Presidents, but I have never once experienced the type of snootiness that you depict as being endemic to the experience of living in New England. The long, odd introduction that you chose undermines everything that is good about this article and, for me, made it nearly impossible to focus on the parts that were actually worth reading. I kept wondering what other erroneous assumptions underlay your thoughts on digital preservation, as well.
    I sincerely hope that no one outside of the library and archival professions ever discovers this article. If anyone else ever does read this, it will reinforce an additional set of stereotypes that badly need dismantling–librarians and archivists as priggish pseudo-intellectuals whose scholarship and professional practices are not to be taken seriously.

6. Ana
    November 1, 2011 at 2:22 am

I think one could as easily say that a man is well put together and it would still reflect on their character and be a compliment. The fact that the author asked Helen how she felt about the opening paragraph was very professional.

7. Trish
    November 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I read that the Library of Congress is giving free digital curation training to museum staff, etc. – do you have any information or links to that program?

A very interesting read; I’m a Records Manager by day dealing with the reality of aging electronic records that need to be preserved as well as transferring current records to electronic format, and a researcher and writer in my off-hours which include imaging historical letters.

I look forward to following some of the links provided in the article.

8. Mike Ashenfelder
    November 10, 2011 at 8:13 am

Trish, you might be referring to the Library’s Digital Preservation Courses & Workshops for Organizations and Institutions. You can find more information at http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/education/courses/.

9. Nanyan Huang(Nancy)
    December 14, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Hi, Helen : This is Nanyan Huang, nick name is Nancy. I am a former computerized cost estimator in National Envelope, and Brenner Paper Products more than 10 years since 1989. I had 17 years digital and Nano softwre control all tech computer product US Cpyright Registration number monopoly. Applied in 10-15 years, spent more than $800,000 for those all expenses.

Digital tech, is completely innovation for everything, Music, picture, Film, Movies, TV, Satellite, Radar, DVD, HI-tech, computer. Digital for test examine material, digital documentaion management also important. All products must use digital 1,1,1,0, and 0.000000000000000000001.

If this world made mistake, should immediately halt and correct.

I just read introduction about you, and other experts. Have a greatfull Digital Archives Day at the Library of Congress.

Nancy National Accounting