There are some great new features and improvements now available on Congress.gov. Our team from across the Library of Congress has worked hard to have the first version of both Advanced Search and Browse in this release. I’m also happy to announce that another requested page from THOMAS has now made it over to Congress.gov, the Appropriations Table.
As we continue to add more and more content from THOMAS to Congress.gov, it has been interesting to see how the feedback people leave lines up with what we are planning next. After our September release there have been several comments asking for an Appropriations Table page on Congress.gov. Meg worked really hard on the new page with Margaret, Tina, and Jeanine.
Jeanine has also updated the Congress.gov Enhancements page.
New feature – Advanced Search
Implemented the first iteration of advanced search with a focus on bills, resolutions, and amendments. Items include:
- Twenty-two legislative data fields, each with support for contextually appropriate operators;
- A graphical user interface supports grouped and/or/not fielded searches;
- An entry box is available for users who prefer to learn and use the Solr syntax to compose and execute a command line search;
- Contextual help including pop-up cheat-sheet listing fields for command line search;
- Integration of the advanced search link into the global search box; and
- Integration of the advanced search into the search result display.
New feature – Browse
Implemented the first iteration of browsing, including browse lists for laws, bills, resolutions, and amendments; bills by subject; vetoed legislation; and legislation with committee or conference reports. All browse lists link to standard search result lists, including facets.
Improvements – Action Tab
- Added check all, uncheck all functionality
- Chamber column for All Actions clearly distinguishes between House and Senate actions
- Various labeling changes to improve readability of the tab
- Added intro text that shows number of items (faceted and total)
Improvements – Facets
- Status of Legislation facet spans across all available content, 1973-present
- Renamed Legislation Type to Bill Type
- Removed Law as a facet value (this information is available via the Status of Legislation facet)