Our colleagues at In Custodia Legis recently shared a list of the ten most viewed pages at the Law Library of Congress. We in the Music Division give you the eleven most viewed individual items (not including presentation pages) from the Performing Arts Encyclopedia for the month of February. Thanks to Elizabeth Fulford Miller, Library Services, for providing web metrics.
- 11. An article on African-American Performers on Early Sound Recordings, 1892-1916, from African-American Band Music & Recordings, 1883-1923.
- 10. A biography of John Philip Sousa from The March King: John Philip Sousa
- 9. A United States Marine Band recording of Aaron Copland’s “Fanfare for the Common Man,” from Patriotic Melodies.
- 8. ”Battle Hymn of the Republic,” from Patriotic Melodies.
- 7. “Hail to the Chief,” from Patriotic Melodies.
- 6. “America the beautiful,” from Patriotic Melodies.
- 5. “My country ’tis of thee,” from Patriotic Melodies.
- 4. “When Johnny Comes marching home again,” from Patriotic Melodies.
- 3. An article on the History of Ragtime, from our Ragtime presentation.
- 2. A biography of Eubie Blake from African-American Band Music.
And finally, from our ever popular collection of Patriotic Melodies, the most viewed individual item in the Performing Arts Encyclopedia for the month of February was:
- 1. “The Star Spangled Banner.”