While it’s natural that people would associate the Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division with, well, film, video, and sound recordings, we have a tremendous amount of associated documentation like scripts, lobby cards, pressbooks, and copyright descriptive material. We also have well more than a million publicity stills, a fraction of which we’ve used to illustrate the weekly “Now Playing at the Packard Campus Theater” posts.
But just as we have unidentified films in the collection, we have plenty of unidentified stills as well. MBRS staff have a pretty good eye for this sort of challenge, so we typically keep a stack of mystery photos on a table and usually the pile gets drawn down fairly quickly. However, there are also a number we can’t nail down so that’s why we’re sharing a lot of them over the coming weeks in hopes that crowdsourcing can do the trick.
Any suggestion, thoughts, or even speculation you have is gratefully appreciated and can be shared in the Comments.
- Some staff suggest this might be from a non-US film, perhaps something from the Mexican cinema.
UPDATE: This might not be the Mexican cinema at all. Could it be Diane Baker or Elizabeth Bauer?
2. On the original of this photo, someone had scribbled the name “Virginia” on the back. But Virginia who? And is it “Virginia” at all?
UPDATE: Is this Virginia Huston?
3. The name of this woman has frustrated us for months because she looks so familiar. But who is she?
UPDATE: Two recent guesses: Prunella Scales? Celia Bannerman? Jody Fair?
4. Obviously an actress (?) from the silent era.
UPDATE: Helen Twelvetrees?
5. This woman might be involved in classical music in some fashion. The name of the photographer in the lower right hand corner is Peter Perri, who often shot album covers as well as portraits of classical musicians.
UPDATE: A popular guess for the above shot is German actress Ruth Leuwerik. Or, could this be Erika Koth? Other theories: Cathy Lewis or Melitta Muszely or Eileen Joyce or Maria Andergast?
6) Another familiar face we need help identifying.
UPDATE: A solid lead has the above photo being “Dark Shadows” actress Clarice Blackburn.
Thanks for looking! And thanks for your help!
Tune in next week for a few more mystery photos.