Actually, these films do have names, titles, but, at present, we just don’t know what they are. We hope that you can help us out. If you know the films these stills are from, or any of the performers in them, please write it in the “comments” section below. As we determine the titles, we’ll update this blog accordingly. As always, “clicking” on any of the eight images below will increase their size. Thanks for looking!
1. The code on this photo is “MGLL-61” which corresponds, according to some sources, to the 1936 big screen adaption of “Showboat” but the costumes in this picture don’t appear to be from that film’s era.
SOLVED!: “A Tale of Two Cities” (1935)–Thank you, David N.
SOLVED!: “The Silent Accuser” (1924) with Raymond McKee–Thank you, Karin T.
SOLVED!: “King of New York” with, yes, Artie Lange, from Fox TV from 1998. Thanks, Tony L. and others.
UPDATE: Everything–costumes and the “1647” in the pictures–points to this being something to do with “Knickerbocker Holiday.” But is it the film? A production within a production? Or a photo from a stage version?
5. This photo cuts off its code but it looks like it begins “AN.” Still, even with that clue, we don’t know the movie. (Note the uniform of the man in the lower right hand corner suggesting that at least this scene takes place overseas.)
SOLVED!: This is the French film “L’Ange De La Nuit.” The film, produced in 1942, was released in 1944. We have another still, also from France, with the same “AN” code.
6. Here, too, the set suggests something non-US but what film is this and who are any of the actors?
SOLVED!: This IS “OSS,” a UK-made series from the mid-50’s. This is an episode titles “Operation Orange Blossom,” set in Casablanca. Lionel Murton is the man in the white suit. Thanks to all who helped!
7. A flurry of good guesses internally has not yet solved the riddle of who this actor is or what film this is from.
SOLVED!: Diego Abatantuomo in the Italian-made “The Best Man” (1998).–Thanks to Kristine and Rocco!
8. Finally, who are these men in their finery on horseback? And what film is this?
SOLVED!: “That Lady” (1955)!–Thank you, Gary!
To see our previous blogs of other unknown photos, see the links below. Some of the photos from prior weeks have been solved! Some are still waiting….
Photo Blog #2: Who’s that Gent? (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #3: Name That Movie! (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #4: Musical Mysteries (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #6: Small Screen Oddities (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #7: International Unknowns (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #8: Mysterious Silents (2 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #9: Portraits of an Unknown Woman (2 solved!)