This, #17 in the LOC’s mystery movie-still blog, is all Western-themed. Westerns were, of course, one of Hollywood’s most popular genres and thousands of them have been produced over the years. Hence, some of the stars and titles of them have, not surprisingly, faded from memory. So we need your help to tell us who and in some cases what.
Please place your educated guesses in the “comments” section below. As always, as these shots are positively ID’ed, we will update this blog accordingly. And, as always, “clicking” on any of the images below will increase them in size. Thank you!
1. We are looking for the names of each of these performers and/or the name of the film they are in.
UPDATE: Could this cowboy be Bob Custer or Art Acord?
2. Who are the members of this trio?
SOLVED: “Galloping Vengeance” with Ralph McCullough, Mary Beth Milford and Bob Custer.–Thank you, Chuck A.
3. Yes, we have posted this pic of this pretty lady before but we still haven’t discovered who she is. We believe this shot may have been for a TV show.
UPDATE: Roberta Shore of “The Virginian”?
4. We welcome any thoughts on this interesting sepia-toned shot including if this is from a film or who any of these three men might be.
5. Ideally, we’d like to ID all three of the people in this photo–the woman in the bonnet, the woman next to her and the man in the hat. That man in the hat may be William Farnum. And what’s the name of the film?
SOLVED: “The Rainbow Trail” (1918); woman in the center is Genevieve Blinn and actor is Farnum.–Thanks, Dr. Rich!
6. We believe this to be from a 1947 film titled “Rainbow Over the Rockies” and the man on the left to be Wesley Tuttle. But who is the gent next to him?
SOLVED: The other guy is Jack Rivers.–Thank you, Kevin C.
SOLVED!: “His Glorious Night” (MGM, 1929)–Thanks to Mary and Zoltan
8. This painting might have been a plot point in a Western film–or maybe not. We welcome suggestions as to its artist and other details.
9. We believe the man in the middle in the big white hat is Yakima Canutt. But what film is this?
SOLVED: “West of the Divide” (1934) with Lloyd Whitlock, Dick Dickinson, Canutt, Blackie Whiteford and Tex Palmer.–Thanks again, Chuck!
10. The man in black is “The Durango Kid” a.k.a. Charles Starrett. But who are the other two men and what film might this be?
SOLVED: “South of the Chisholm Trail” (1947).–Thanks, Dr. Rich!
Please see our previous photo blogs, as some photos there are still awaiting identification…
Photo Blog #2: Who’s that Gent? (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #3: Name That Movie! (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #4: Musical Mysteries (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #6: Small Screen Oddities (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #7: International Unknowns (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #8: Mysterious Silents (3 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #9: Portraits of an Unknown Woman (2 of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #10: The Films With No Name (6 out of 8 solved!)
Photo Blog #11: The Kids are Unknown (5 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #12: Reel Mysteries (5 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #15: The Executive Guess (1 out of 10 solved!)