A Grateful Farewell to Earnestine Sweeting, Library of Congress Teacher in Residence

Earnestine Sweeting, the 2011-2013 Library of Congress Teacher in Residence

Over the past two years, Earnestine Sweeting has been everywhere.

Everywhere, that is, that the Library of Congress was working with teachers. You might have met her in the Library’s booth at a conference. You might have had the good fortune to participate in professional development that she facilitated. You might have used a teaching idea you discovered in one of her blog posts. You might have shared a joke with her at the National Book Festival.

As the 2011-2013 Library of Congress Teacher in Residence, Earnestine has been a vital and active part of the Library’s programs for teachers, both in public and behind the scenes. Since she came to the Library from P.S. 153, in the Bronx, N.Y, those of us in the Library who work with teachers have come to depend on her insights into teacher needs, her innovative ideas, her energy and good humor, and her passionate commitment to students.

As Earnestine ends her term and returns to New York, we hope you’ll join us in wishing her luck and thanking her for all that she’s done.

Earnestine Sweeting at the 2012 National Book Festival

If you’re like us, you’re also thinking back over some of your favorite Earnestine Sweeting blog posts. You can find all of her posts here. But I’d also like to pick out one of my favorites: From Flight to Discovery with Alexander Graham Bell’s Papers.

This is a post that sums up a lot of things about Earnestine: It’s grounded in her classroom experience. It makes connections across the curriculum. It’s student-centered, challenging, and fun. It’s full of surprises. And, of course, it’s about soaring upward.

1. Michael Brna
    August 13, 2013 at 10:07 am

Earnestine:

I, too, am grateful for your excellent and thoughtful contributions and want you to know you will be missed.
    Thanks for all you contributed and I wish you best of luck in future endeavors and hope we haven’t heard the last from you. Mike

2. Jennifer
    August 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

I had the opportunity to meet Earnestine at a Summer Teacher Institute and it was my pleasure to have done so. She’s so obviously intelligent but also kind, caring and has a way of bringing the best out of people. She will be a huge blessing to any organization that is lucky to have her on staff.

3. Cindy Rich
    August 13, 2013 at 10:30 am

Best wishes, Earnestine! I enjoyed spending time with you at NCTE in Chicago and in DC!
    One of my favorites posts was “What’s It All About? Capture the Heart of a Primary Source in a Headline”. Our gut reactions to primary sources influence how we interpret them and this is an easy activity to do with teachers to start a discussion about what we bring to the table – consciously or subconsciously.
    Enjoy your next chapter!!!!

4. ABell
    August 13, 2013 at 10:40 am

Earnestine,
    We will miss you – thanks so much for your contribution to the TPS program and specifically to our Level One committee. Best to you in the coming school year!

5. Michele M. Chisholm, President LC BIG
    August 13, 2013 at 11:03 am

Thank you Earnestine for all the support you gave to the Library of Congress Chapter of Blacks In Government. You were a valuable resource for several of our youth outreach programs. Our hearts wish you well in your future endeavors.

6. Deven Black
    August 13, 2013 at 11:03 am

When I first met Earnestine in a Teaching American History workshop during my first year of teaching ten years ago, I knew she was special, smart, articulate and creative. As great a teacher in residence as she has been, it will be great to welcome her back to the Bronx.

7. A.Prof.MOSSAYYEB SAMANIAN
    August 13, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thank you Earnestine for all the support you gave to the Library of Congress Chapter of Blacks In Government. You were a valuable resource for several of our youth outreach programs. Our hearts wish you well in your future endeavors(my opinion IS simple MICHELE M.CHISHOLM

8. RIW
    August 13, 2013 at 11:16 am

I, too, had the fortune to meet and learn from Earnestine during a recent Summer Institute. Her professionalism, dedication, humility, and craftsmanship were inspiring and contagious. Earnestine embodies the qualities of a Teacher-Researcher-Curator-Librarian! I especially appreciated her blog post “Kindergarten Historians”, which highlighted the work of Teresa St. Angelo and her kindergarten students. ~Warmest Regards and Cheers, Earnestine!

9. Carla Wood
    August 13, 2013 at 11:54 am

Thank you Earnestine from the bottom of my heart. I had the good fortune of working with you through the Summer Institute, Session 5 and my teaching career will be forever changed….I am so excited to put into practice all the sage advice you gave me personally. New York gains back a favored educator, your students will be so blessed having such a compassionate, caring instructor…please let not this be our farewells…just a reminder you wanted to send me your personal email so that we can continue our correspondences. ;) May you continue to do what your heart desires! Carla Wood

10. AnneMarie Walter
    August 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I’d like to add my grateful farewell to you, Earnestine! My teachers loved the Kindergarten Historians. It rang true to the teachers who are already working with little ones and those who aspire to bring primary sources to the primary grades. Thanks!

11. Tara Ulmer
    August 13, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Ernestine gave me some great affirmation at the end of the TPS workshop this summer that will stick with me. She’s an extraordinary educator and was a wonderful mentor for the week.

Numai Bine (Best Wishes) Ernestine!

12. Karen Ambrose
    August 13, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Earnestine, you were truly an asset to the Summer Institute at the Library of Congress. I enjoyed getting to know you last summer (2012) at the Civil War Session. You were a great teacher to those of us who benefitted from your instruction, and know the children of New York will feel so blessed to have you return! God’s Speed and keep on teaching!

13. Earnestine Sweeting
    August 14, 2013 at 8:38 am

Thank you for your thoughtful words and well wishes. I’ve learned so much during my amazing journey at the Library. I look forward to my continued commitment to sharing meaningful professional learning experiences with teachers. Ok historians…

14. Rich Cairn EmergingAmerica.org
    August 15, 2013 at 9:35 am

We will miss your energy and insights. I hope we continue to hear about your work as a teacher, a curriculum developer, and a trainer.

15. Gail Petri
    August 16, 2013 at 10:37 am

You have been a special borrowed treasure for the Library for two years. How lucky for them and all the educators whose lives you have touched. So like the butterflies, spread your wings and fly high. I’ll be watching for you :-)

16. Eden Kuhlenschmidt
    August 18, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Ernestine,
    You are truly a role model for teachers using the many resources of the Library of Congress and you will be missed in your teacher-in-residence role. I am honored to have met you at the Summer Tech Institute and to have followed your activities during your time at the Library. Best wishes for a wonderful future.

17. Maria Veronica
    August 19, 2013 at 1:57 am

Thank you Earnestine for making a great experience at the
    Summer Institute even better with your insight and expertise.
    Your students and school are very fortunate to have you.
    Best of luck upon your return.

18. Cynthia Szwajkowski
    August 19, 2013 at 8:42 am

Thanks for working with our teachers, Earnestine. We so enjoyed getting to know you. Best of luck and continued success.

19. Jenn Hatch
    August 19, 2013 at 10:59 am

I had the pleasure of meeting, learning from and working with Earnestine during the Summer Institute and was in awe of her professional knowledge and presence. She is a treasure to the education profession and I am fortunate to have had the pleasure to meet such a wonderful woman! Best of luck in your future endeavors Earnestine!

20. Taylor Kendal
    August 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thank you for all you have done in moving the STI, TPS and the Library of Congress forward in so many positive ways. Your absence will undoubtedly be missed.

21. Bitsy
    August 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Earnestine you ROCK! It was such a pleasure to work with you and discovery what the LOC has to offer during the Summer Institute 2012. You have been a beacon for many of us in the education world. I wish you all the best as you return to the classroom.

22. Jennifer Burgin
    September 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Earnestine visited my classroom two years ago to observe my lesson on primary sources. She encouraged and inspired me! Best with all you do and keep touching lives! :)