This week’s Pic of the Week is from outside our neighbor to the north, the Supreme Court. I’m not sure if many of you heard, but they had some cases to announce this week. Debbie, who specializes in federal government documents including the Supreme Court, made a trip to visit the Supreme Court yesterday morning. When she arrived back in the Law Library Reading Room, I tweeted:
I think we had our copy of the decision on the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act before it was posted online to the world. Debbie was kind enough to take a few photos on her journey. There was even one of some belly dancers (but I didn’t see Hope). The photo below best captures the crowd that gathered.
Earlier in the week Debbie sent around to the reference staff this note with some background information that I wanted to share:
Thought I would give you a heads up that according to news sources the Supreme Court will likely rule on the federal health care cases on Thursday. While we have the supporting briefs housed in the cage; the orders, briefs, and other information regarding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act cases are also available on the Supreme Court website.
Here is a list of the cases and corresponding docket numbers:
- 11-117 Thomas More Law Center, et al., v. Barack H. Obama, President of the United States, et al.
- 11-393 National Federation of Independent Business, et al., , v. Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services, et al.,
- 11-398 Department of Health and Human Services, et al., v. Florida, et al.
- 11-400 Florida, et al., v. Department of Health and Human Services, et al.
- 11-420 Virginia, ex rel. Kenneth T. Cuccinelli, II, Attorney General of Virginia v. Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services
- 11-438 Liberty University, et al., v. Timothy F. Geithner , Secretary of the Treasury, et al.