{ subscribe_url: '/share/sites/library-of-congress-blogs/law.php' }

Tribes within Mexico have been added to the Indigenous Law Portal

We are excited to announce a new addition to our Indigenous Law PortalMexico! Thanks to the hard work of many interns, Jennifer, Tina, Jolande, Robert, and others around the Library, this completes the North American portion of the Indigenous Law Portal.

Map of the areas in North America with information in the Indigenous Law Portal.

A clickable map of North America from the Indigenous Law Portal.

The Indigenous Law Portal, which debuted in July of 2014, combines historical information from the vast collections of the Library of Congress with current sources of tribal law from the tribes themselves. Since the portal’s debut with the continental United States, we have added content for Alaska and Canada. Our newest addition, Mexico, features 62 tribes in 18 states. A clickable map makes it easy to browse tribes by state boundaries, but you can also browse an alphabetical or regional index as well.  In adding Mexico to the Portal, we discovered that there are several tribes with the same or similar names, owing to a long and complicated history within the region.

A map of areas in Mexico with information in the Indigenous Law Portal.

The Mexican Indigenous Law Portal features a clickable state map.

This is only the latest addition to the portal; there is more to come as we begin to explore Central and South America. Subscribe to In Custodia Legis for updates, because we will be adding new content throughout the coming year.

1. Joseph
    October 20, 2015 at 10:02 pm

This is really great news for the Natives American Indian s over there, part of the reason why I think this happened is because all the Spanish left Mexico behind for the conquest of North America!

2. Yvonne molina
    July 17, 2018 at 6:45 pm

I just recently found out through geneology dna testing that i am native american from mexico i am very excited i was 30% native american from mexico but i dont know where to go from here i just know i would like to do whatever i can

3. deborah g pendleton
    November 23, 2018 at 4:44 pm

found out my dna is 43% native american. so sad that history was lost.

4. Cynthia Vega
    September 23, 2019 at 8:45 pm

I am very excited and pleased to find this. I also have found that my ancestry is Native American from Mexico and have been saddened as well as all my Aunts and Uncles Have passed and in a lot of ways my family history is very hard to find. Thank you.

5. Angelica Bustamantes
    July 29, 2020 at 6:24 pm

Hello I Just found out I’m 60 percent Indigenous Americas- Mexico so where do I from here. Is there a tribe that my ancestors came from

6. Julia Growney
    March 20, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Researching tribes of my in-law’s & sons’ ancestry.
    Thank you!

7. David Garcia
    April 30, 2021 at 12:27 am

I am happy to see that Native American includes all of North America. My family lineage goes to North Jalisco, city of Teocaltiche pre dating the Spanish. We are decedents of CAXCANES who were also CHICHIMECAS. We are all cousins and share so many similarities. It warms my heart to know, we don’t have to explain that Indigenous Mexican blood is also known as Native American.

8. Patricia Martinez
    June 3, 2021 at 9:29 am

Hello, I just found out that I am 49% Indigenous American- Mexico.
    How do I go about and research my family and see what tribe my ancestors came from?

9. Patricia Martinez
    June 3, 2021 at 9:30 am

Hello, I just found out that I am 49% Indigenous American- Mexico.

10. Jose
    November 29, 2021 at 6:54 am

I just found out I’m 49% indigenous how do I find out if I eligible for some Federal help

11. Rosa Aleriano
    May 15, 2022 at 6:32 pm

I did an DNA testing, and i just found out,that i am 72% indigenous American Mexico, where do i go from here, how do i find out, the tribe my ancestry came from? Where do i look to start, my research?

12. Rosa Aleriano
    May 27, 2022 at 1:14 pm

I found out that i am indigenous, thru a DNA test

13. Ruben
    June 14, 2022 at 1:01 pm

I am a first generation American my parents are from a small town in Mexico called Rancho Viejo which is near a small town call Ojo Caliente in San Luis Potosí. My parents lived in a mud brick house that was 10 ft x 15 ft and had a thatched roof. My entire life I’ve been taught to say I’m Mexican and it is not a lack of pride in that fact that repeatedly draws me towards the search for something more. When I was a kid learning Texas history I recall looking at pages within the history book and thinking that looks like me as images of indigenous peoples were depicted with its pages. Features like my nose ears made other children make fun and call me tonto like in the Lone Ranger stories. Even as I read about the Mestizos or half Spanish half natives I thought to myself could this be me. Yet I was taught to shun these beliefs and instead take pride in the fact that I was Mexican. While filling out forms I have always been torn by the sight of a check box that requires I say I’m with indigenous or Mexican. My efforts to learn more about my lost cultural history has brought me to the realization and recognition that I am likely if the Pame peoples. I hope to one day establish a clearer understanding of who I am through the knowledge of where I come from. Thank you to all who have posted reading your individual experiences has made me feel not so alone in the journey good luck to you all.