The Law Library of Congress is unique in many ways. To accomplish our mission of providing authoritative legal research, reference, and instruction services, and access to an unrivaled collection of U.S., foreign, comparative, and international law, our staff includes foreign and U.S. trained legal specialists and law librarians from around the world who cover 300+ jurisdictions. Many of these foreign law specialists have a law degree from their country of origin and an LL.M. from a U.S. law school. The foreign law specialists write reports and provide expert witness testimony for Congress and various executive branch agencies. If the office requesting the report provides permission, these reports are made available online. You can access the Law Library’s reports by topic, region, year of publication, or you can simply browse all of the reports. These reports address specific legal issues for a particular country, or present a comparative multinational analysis of legal and legislative approaches to an individual problem in a variety of countries.
Our foreign law specialists and law librarians also write for the Global Legal Monitor, an online publication from the Law Library of Congress covering legal news and developments worldwide. You can access the Global Legal Monitor by topic, jurisdiction, or author. In 2022, we published 271 Global Legal Monitor articles.
Here are the most-viewed reports and Global Legal Monitor articles that were published in 2022, in ascending order, starting with reports.
10. Mass timber construction in selected jurisdictions
8. United States and United Kingdom : comparative recent developments in environmental law
7. Legal framework for nuclear technology and information : Australia, United Kingdom
6. Net zero emissions legislation around the world : 2022 update
5. Turkey : presidential decrees
4. Economic espionage laws : Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, India, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Peru, South Korea, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan
3. Worldwide Global Magnitsky Act legislation
2. Investment migration programs of visa waiver program countries
1. Laws on abortion, genetic consultation, and assisted reproduction
Most-viewed Global Legal Monitor articles
10. Philippines: Hague Convention on International Recovery of Child Support and Other Forms of Family Maintenance Signed
9. United Arab Emirates: Israeli Citizen Sentenced to Death for Drug Trafficking in Abu Dhabi
8. France: Law on Economic and Professional Gender Equality Adopted
7. New Zealand: Bill Establishing Safe Areas around Abortion Facilities Passed
6. Ukraine: Martial Law Introduced in Response to Russian Invasion
5. Egypt: New Laws Regulating Marriage, Polygamy, and Divorce Proposed
4. Germany: Tax Relief Measures Adopted to Offset High Energy Costs Due to War in Ukraine
3. Italy: Single and Universal Allowance for Dependent Children Established
2. France: Government Bans Single-Use Plastic Packaging for Various Perishable Products
1. Canada: Bill C-4 Banning Conversion Therapy Comes into Force
Subscribe to In Custodia Legis – it’s free! – to receive interesting posts drawn from the Law Library of Congress’s vast collections and our staff’s expertise in U.S., foreign, and international law.