David is an accomplished composer, scholar, pianist and educator. He was appointed as a music specialist/concert producer at the Library of Congress in 2012 after serving as the Artistic and New Music Coordinator of the KwaZulu-Natal Philharmonic Orchestra in South Africa for two years. There he worked with composers, musicians and conductors from around the country and internationally to facilitate the creation and presentation of new music; this included the first orchestral reading session program in South Africa.
David’s award-winning compositions range from solo pieces to large orchestral works and independent film scores. David has received awards and recognition from the Meet the Composer Foundation, ASCAP, the American Music Center, the Minnesota Orchestra Reading Sessions and the Hanson Institute for American Music, among other organizations. He holds degrees from Duke University, the University of Louisville, and the Eastman School of Music, where he earned his PhD in composition. David is also active as a pianist and writer, focusing on new and 19th century music. When not producing concerts at the Library his focus is on composition and transcription.
Most Recent Posts
- Nicholas Longworth and The Friends of Music in the Library of Congress January 9th, 2018
- Les parfums de la nuit: Debussy through the eyes of Charles Griffes December 20th, 2017
- Tickets Available December 13th! December 8th, 2017
- The 2017-18 Season Brochure is Here! September 6th, 2017
- Announcing the 2017-2018 Season of Concerts from the Library of Congress August 16th, 2017
- Re: Discovery–The Two Opus 2s of Eugen d’Albert May 18th, 2017
- The Final Years of Pilgrimage: Sketches and Sources for Liszt’s Années de pèlerinage, Troisième année April 28th, 2017
- This Week at the Library: “Pump Up the Volume,” Steven Isserlis & Connie Shih, “In Bach’s Hand,” “Painting Jazz,” and Steve Coleman and Five Elements April 19th, 2017
- This Week at the Library: WWI Sheet Music, Jeannette Rankin, and the Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival April 3rd, 2017
- Winter/Spring Ticket Release for Concerts from the Library of Congress December 28th, 2016