{ subscribe_url:'/share/sites/library-of-congress-blogs/national-book-festival.php' }

Updated 2019 Book Festival App Is Live

Splash screen for National Book Festival AppThe 2019 Library of Congress National Book Festival App is now LIVE and ready for download. The free app is newly updated with everything you’ll need to know before and during this year’s festival on Saturday, Aug. 31 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.

Love mapping out your route to see all the authors you love? You can use the app now to plan your adventures at the festival – from who to see to what activities you don’t want to miss. The app contains the full schedule of author events, book signings, panels, and special activities, complete with times and locations. You can even build a personalized schedule within the app so you can dive right into all the fun at the festival as soon as you get there.

Prefer to fly by the seat of your pants? On the day of the Festival, the app will be invaluable for finding your way through the convention center, reading up on author bios and deciding which activity or booth to visit in between the two speakers you just have to see. Plus, the app will always have the most up-to-date information on the festival, and provide notice if anything changes during the day.

The festival app is also a great way to tell us what you think! You can use the app to rate each event, post photos directly to Twitter and Instagram, and see what you and everyone else on social media are saying on the live Social Media Wall, which will be visible during the festival both in the app and in-person all around the convention center.

The app is available for iOS and Android. If those don’t work for you, never fear, there’s a fully-functional web version too! Take advantage of this invaluable opportunity to make the most of your day on Aug. 31, and use the app to make the festival a seamless, stress-free and fun adventure to remember.

You can find links to download your version of the app at loc.gov/apps. Check it out and start planning your schedule for the big day!

The 2020 Library of Congress National Book Festival, which is free for everyone, will be held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on Saturday, Aug. 29. You can get up-to-the-minute news, schedule updates and other important festival information by subscribing to this blog. The festival is made possible by the generosity of sponsors. You too can support the festival by making a gift now.

1. DONALD Ransom
    August 5, 2019 at 2:26 pm

I will be thrilled should you allow me to attend, if only I were able to join friends and family in the Washing D.C. area during the Book festival then I could take in so much more.

2. Sherry
    August 5, 2019 at 2:33 pm

How do book signings work? Is there a pre-determined time when you can get in line for an author? Do you need to get a ticket once you enter the building? Is there a cut-off to the number of signings an author will do? Sorry for all of the questions. First time attending 🙂

3. joan ramirez
    August 5, 2019 at 3:31 pm

While I’m unable to make this year’s festival due to literary obligations, I do hope you will keep me posted on 2020 and the deadline for submitting a proposal to speak at the event.
    Thank you for your consideration.
    Joan Ramirez
    Jamie is Autistic
    Go for it Leadership Handbook for All Students

4. John Sayers
    August 5, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Sherry, there are no tickets required for any venue or author signing. You may get into line at any time. The author only signs during the time listed under his or her book signing — mostly for an hour. There will be volunteers at all of the signing lines to help patrons & answer questions. Authors decide for themselves how many books they will sign for each patron — some limit it one or two, so that more people will have a chance. Hope this helps, and see you on Aug. 31!

5. Cookie Murphy-Pettee
    August 5, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Hello! I, too, can’t come this year but hope to next year. Sooo sorry to miss RBG!
    How does one apply to become a volunteer?

6. John Sayers
    August 6, 2019 at 8:27 am

Hi Cookie! Every year in the spring, we put out a call for volunteers for the fall event. There’s usually a notice on our website at //www.loc.gov/bookfest/ and if you subscribe to this blog, you’ll get an email notice. Thanks for your interest, and we’ll look forward to seeing you next year!

7. Sandy Morrow
    August 6, 2019 at 9:43 pm

I plan on attending this year. I hope I have this right. I just show up at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on Aug. 31st and get in line for the author or panel I want to hear. There is no reservation or ticket required to attend the event. I hope this is correct.

8. John Sayers
    August 7, 2019 at 8:14 am

Sandy, you are correct. Once you enter the convention center and are processed through security, you are free to go to any one of our 11 stages or the expo floor for any of the scheduled presentations. No reservations or tickets are required, and as long as you remain within the convention center, you won’t have to go through security again. Look forward to seeing you Aug. 31!

9. Terry Dailey
    August 11, 2019 at 2:07 pm

this will be my first time at the festival. I downloaded the App (which is great), but when I checked the maps it only had the city, not the facility. Will they add that later for us newbies to find our way around inside? I assume it is huge.

10. John Sayers
    August 12, 2019 at 7:05 am

Terry, we’re glad you like the app! The Festival map is being finalized and will be pushed to the app and posted on our website this week. See you on Aug. 31!

11. David Brown
    August 12, 2019 at 10:46 am

Please tell me the festival is not going to make Mr. and Mrs. Trump the Honorary Chair this year.

12. Brigit VanGraafeiland
    August 27, 2019 at 5:28 pm

I am wondering if there are any updates to the authors. I know that RBG has been recently ill and am hoping she will still be there. Thank you

13. John Sayers
    August 27, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Hello Brigit! Every author on our list is still on for Saturday. We’ve heard from Justice Ginsburg recently, and she’s very excited about her appearance. If there are any changes in the schedule, they’ll be pushed through to our website and to the National Book Festival App. See you Saturday!

14. Jane Newhagen
    August 28, 2019 at 6:18 pm

The app is not updating on my phone. I still see the schedule for 2018. What should I do?

15. John Sayers
    August 29, 2019 at 9:07 am

Hi Jane! In the App, if you click the “hamburger” (three horizontal lines that look like a double-decker burger) in the top-left corner to open the menu, there should be a link “Switch Event” at the top. If you click that, you should be taken to the Event Directory. Use the search at the top to find “2019 National Book Festival” if it’s not already in your list of events. Hope that helps, and see you Saturday!

16. Kate bair
    August 29, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Interested. Always ready to learn and meet new folks.

17. Kate Bair
    August 29, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Looking forward to checking up.

18. Jen
    August 30, 2019 at 4:07 pm

On the app, I can’t create a log in – it says I am not registered. How do you register?

19. Rene
    August 31, 2019 at 11:15 am

I was disappointed and confused by the changes to Raina’s book signing and photo opportunity changes and requirements.