This week, in the Library’s ongoing series of unknown publicity stills, we look at a set of photps that seem to be television-related, perhaps local or national. As always, clicking on any of the photos below will increase their size. We welcome any information on program or performers in the comments section below. If a particular still is positively ID-ed, we’ll update the blog to keep everyone abreast of our progress and success.
1. This is probably a local children’s program. While we won’t worry about the names of each of the kids in the photo, we would like to know the name of the man in the middle and the show he is on.
UPDATE: We believe this to be Paul Tripp.
2. Almost everyone that looks at this photo says the people in it “look British.” Beyond that, however, we don’t know any of them or why they are gathered together in this photo–a cast of a sitcom? a comedy troupe?
UPDATE: There was speculation that the woman on the far left was Pauline McLynn. The Library reached out to Ms. McLynn who stated it was not her.
3. This unknown man’s playful bowtie seems to suggest he’s hosting a children’s show or a game show. The photo may be from television or, perhaps, from radio, since radio programs were often performed to live audiences with their hosts dressing up for the occasion.
SOLVED!: Bil and Cora Baird!
4. This photo arrived with to us with the “X” already in place and a cryptic note written on the back. On the back, someone has written “The Apprentice with Mr. McGrath.” The print is further dated July 31, 1968. But confirming this information has proved elusive.
UPDATE: Could the “Mr. McGrath” be character actor Paul McGrath?
5. Speaking as we were of game shows, this still may too be from some sort of TV quiz program. Is the man in the middle a lucky winner? And who are the women on each side of him? And what show is this?
SOLVED!: The man in the middle is Alan Hamel. The belief is that this is the show “Wedding Party” and the women are Mary Anne Ellis (left) and Elaine Fulkerson (on the right). Thanks to all!
6. Based upon clues in the photo, this is some sort of TV holiday special. But who this group of singers is is so far unknown.
SOLVED!: The Burke Family Singers. Thanks to all!
Thank you for your help.
To see our previous mystery photo blogs, please click on the links below.