This time in the Library’s ongoing series of “mystery stills,” we return to what are probably film stills from some very obscure films. We welcome your assistance in telling us the titles or any of the performers pictured. As always, “clicking” on any of the images below will increase their size. As we verify the suggestions we get, we will update this blog accordingly. Many thanks!
SOLVED!: “L’Aventure est au coin de la rue'” (1944) with Charles Rigoulot and Roland Toutain. Merci!
2. We just missed Halloween as far as identifying this mother-daughter (?) duo. This shot is probably from a TV title–a horror show or anthology–and probably dates from the 1980’s or ’90s.
3. Probably another horror film. A copy of this print is currently being sold on eBay but the seller of it doesn’t know the film it is from either. This still also bears a code: “F-68.”
SOLVED!: “Child Bride” (1938)! Thanks Miles!
SOLVED!: Neil McDonough in “White Dwarf,” a 1995 sci-fi pilot.
UPDATE: Wendy & Lisa? Bauhaus? Love & Rockets?
6. Who is the man on the phone? It too has a cryptic code: “1171.”
UPDATE: Lawrence Gray…or is it Don Terry?
7. This still is extracted from a larger composite of snow-bound stills. But who is this couple and what are they shooting?
SOLVED!: Sharon Gabet and Larkin Malloy, “The Edge of Night.” Thanks Ellie!
8. This lady seems to be part of an opera. We’d appreciate either her name or the production she is in.
SOLVED!: Eleanor Wold in Gilbert & Sullivan’s “Patience” on the NY stage in 1973! — Thanks Loom!
9. This sepia-tone photo might be from a silent western, but we aren’t sure.
SOLVED!: “Desert Rider” from 1929. Thanks Mary!
10. We have a theory about who this lady in the snow might be but we are open to other suggestions. We also don’t know if this is from a film or if this was a more unique publicity shot.
UPDATE: Could this be Andrea Leeds?
Please be sure to review our previous posts where various other stills are still waiting identification.
Photo Blog #2: Who’s that Gent? (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #3: Name That Movie! (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #4: Musical Mysteries (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #6: Small Screen Oddities (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #7: International Unknowns (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #8: Mysterious Silents (3 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #9: Portraits of an Unknown Woman (2 of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #10: The Films With No Name (6 out of 8 solved!)
Photo Blog #11: The Kids are Unknown (5 out of 10 solved!)