It is #18 in “Now See Hear’s” mystery photo blog. This week we look at a few very unusual shots that have come our way with no information attached to them. As always, we are open to your suggestions as to who is in the photo–or, in some of these cases, what. As always, as these photos are positively ID’ed, we’ll update this blog accordingly. As always as well, “clicking” on any of the photos below will increase them in size. THANKS!
1. This couple, sharing the frame with the rhino, might be from a film, a soap opera or on-air magazine type show, we just don’t know.
SOLVED!: Betty and Jock Leslie-Melville, authors of the 1973 book “There’s a Rhino in the Rose Bed, Mother.”
2. This group of (mostly) blondes seemed to be gathered for a reason. Is this a crowd of extras from a movie? If so, what movie?
SOLVED!: This is the real-life Cantrell Family of Eugene, OR–all 10+ of them!–as they were profiled in “Women’s World” magazine in 1986.
3. Here’s a foursome is probably a group of rockers, but who are they?
SOLVED!: The band is The Undertow.–Thanks to Jonathan.
4. This baby robot image obviously owes its inspiration to the work of artist Hajime Sorayama but it is not by Hajime Sorayama (according to his representatives). So: where did this image come from?
5. We know that is long-time character actor Howard Da Silva on the far left but we don’t know the other men or what is so important about that teacup in this picture.
UPDATE: The man in the middle is Gerard Morris. This photo is from 1973 and was taken in Syracuse.
6. This photo is heavily cropped as the rest of it is NSFW. Regardless, can anyone tell us this pin-up’s identity?
SOLVED: Pin-up Angela Dawn.
7. The two young actors in this shot seem to scream “teen soap.” But who are they and what are they promoting?
SOLVED!: Scott Vickaryous and Gina Philips, “Boston Public.”–Thanks to Sarah, who got the ball rolling.
8. This is a festive group but we don’t know who they are, either individually or together.
SOLVED!: Left to right: Fahn; Jason Heil; Valerie Doran; Joe Symon; and Melanie Wingert. They were the cast of “Party of One” at the Century City Playhouse in 1999. Thanks Rob S., for getting this started!
9. This is, obviously, a rendering of a building. But is it a real building? A proposed one? Was it ever built? Or could it be a proposed film set or was this a drawing that served a plot point in a film or TV show?
SOLVED: This is a rendering for the former Pulsations night club in Glen Mills, PA.
10. This snowy shot might be someone’s vacation pic that ended up in our stash or it might be a publicity photo or from a film. We welcome your suggestions.
11. This is a striking photo of a man in his undershirt. Someone has suggested that behind those glasses that is character actor Dave Willock, others say “no.” (There’s a code in the lower corner of the photo that reads “1167,” if that helps anyone.)
SOLVED!: Don Terry.
12. The back of this photo has some tantalizing clues on it. Stamped on the back are “Ran Cochran / Staff Photographer / Cincinnati Enquirer.” So, now we know who took it but, unfortunately, we don’t know who the photo is of.
UPDATE: Children’s author Shel Silverstein has been suggested but the Library reached out to Mr. Silverstein’s estate and they say it is not him.
Thanks for looking! To see our previous “mystery photo” posts (with some stills still in need of identification), see the links below:
Photo Blog #2: Who’s that Gent? (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #3: Name That Movie! (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #4: Musical Mysteries (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #5: Unknown Horrors (1 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #6: Small Screen Oddities (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #7: International Unknowns (5 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #8: Mysterious Silents (4 out of 6 solved!)
Photo Blog #9: Portraits of an Unknown Woman (3 of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #10: The Films With No Name (7 out of 8 solved!)
Photo Blog #11: The Kids are Unknown (5 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #12: Reel Mysteries (5 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #13: Men of Mystery (4 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #14: More Musical Mysteries (3 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #15: The Executive Guess (1 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #16: The Familiar Female (1 out of 10 solved!)
Photo Blog #17: Cowboys and Question Marks (6 out of 10 solved!)