Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions for our myriad of unknown photos over the past few weeks. We have just a few more to ask you about. Please take a look and take a guess. As always “clicking” on any of the thumbnails below will increase the photo in size. Also, we will be updating this blog regularly as solid leads and solutions come in. THANK YOU!!!
- At one time we thought this was well-known character actor George E. Stone. But we’ve since changed our minds. Who is he?
SOLVED!: This is Japanese film director Yasujiro Ozu.
2. That is actor Ian Ziering but who is the woman with him?
SOLVED!: We believe the woman to be Kate Beckinsale. We found another photo of Ms. Beckinsale wearing the same ring.
3. This illustration seems solidly inspired by the work of artist Surayama Hajime but it not by him. Anyone know who it is by or where it was used?
4. This man is turning his radio. Anyone recognize him?
6. We once that this was a well-known travel/airline exec but we now have changed our minds on that too. So who is he? Considering the rest of this collection, he’s probably involved in film somehow.
7. This lady has an odd way of wearing a necklace. Anyone know who she is?
8. On the back of this photo it reads, in pencil, “The Apprentice with Mr. McGrath.” We believe that is character actor Paul McGrath on the right. Who is the woman on the left? We know that the photo is by Howard F. LaChance, a long-time New York state news photographer. We wonder if the woman in the photo was an apprentice to him. There is also a date on the back; it reads: “Jul 31 1968.”
SOLVED: This is local Syracuse actress Dorothy Singleton.
9. Is this just a Mary Martin fan posing with a poster? We don’t know. We are open to suggestions as to who he is.
10. Finally, we have this shot. According to the back, also above, it is an example of a make-up job by legendary movie make-up artist Bob Stephanoff. It has a date on the back that seems to read: “Dec 15 1938.” And there is a note that reads: “The Bulgarian Phesant [Peasant?]” Who is this man and was this utilized in a film?
SOLVED!: According to his daughter-in-law, this is Mr. Stephanoff himself, practicing his trade on himself.
To see our two prior blogs of “unknowns,” some still awaiting solutions, please see the links below.