Funding Opportunities

The following funding opportunities are currently available as part of Of the People: Widening the Path

Connecting Communities Digital Initiative

Information about each grant, along with registration links for informational webinars is available below.

The Community Collections Grant Program from the American Folklife Center is currently closed.

1. Diana M Maldonado
    July 23, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Truly we live in an awesome America. I believe it to be true because of how wonderfully and culturally I am formed. I live in an area that some would call impoverish, but I call it the land of the many, for when I look around I am surrounded by so many cultures, mixtures of different cultures, and yet I am Hispanic and can understand all of them.

• John Fenn
      July 28, 2021 at 9:49 am

We appreciate your interest in the grant program, and hope that the materials we’ve posted can assist you in determining if you’d like to apply.

2. John .A. Jacob
    July 31, 2021 at 6:58 am

What a superb and pace setting innovation. Thumbs-up to the L.C, The Sponsor, Laurie Allen and others. I AM INSPIRED!

3. Lucia Lovison
    August 5, 2021 at 10:36 am

When it is the deadline (it depends on the project)?

• John Fenn
      August 9, 2021 at 9:57 am

The deadline for the Community Collections grant applications is September 7, 2021. Be sure to consult the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for all information related to applying.

4. Tracy E. Bayer
    August 6, 2021 at 1:54 pm

I am thrilled our Library of Congress has this opportunity for citizens!! I am an educator and live on the border in a multi-cultural city and cannot wait for more info on this!! My own German/Irish, Mexican/Native American heritage has intrigued me all of my life. What an opportunity! Thank you Library of Congress!!

5. Ricardo Rose
    August 8, 2021 at 6:22 pm

This initiative is an excellent opportunity to magnify diversity at close range. As a result, the forthcoming cultural documentation–photographs, interviews, audio or video recordings about the uniqueness of diverse communities can enrich individual, group, and collective perspectives and understanding and help to user tolerance and appreciation in the world community.
    A win, win formula to wholesomeness.

6. Emmanuel Kilaso
    August 16, 2021 at 2:16 am

This is a true representation of history. We leave in a world where cultures and traditions are changing very fast.

Please, is this grant open to international individuals (people outside U.S.). I will love to document about my community and share with international audience.

I am from the Yoruba ethnic group in Nigeria.

• John Fenn
      August 16, 2021 at 9:30 am

Thanks for reading the blog. The grant opportunity is only able to support projects taking place in the United States, including territories and protectorates.

7. Serina K Gilbert
    August 17, 2021 at 2:46 pm

This is an awesome opportunity. How do I get more information on the application process?

8. Gwen Walker
    August 23, 2021 at 6:33 pm

This grant opportunity is Awesome. As Founder & President of NEVADA’S FIRST & ONLY Museum of Black & African-American history, we are please and excited for the opportunity to apply for these grants as we continue to acquire, preserve, promote and educate the public about our history. We will be reopening in the near future based on Covid and our repair time. Thank You, Thank You

9. Kent
    August 26, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Hello John Fenn. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on here. I love Ancient american history and I read the history books there at the LOC. I’ve learned on my mom’s side of the family she’s from Orange County, New York and we are from the Munsee Lenape tribe. They call us “black” indigenous. I currently live in the Washington, D. C. area and know of the Nacotchtank/Anacotans and Piscataway indians who are still here. There’s the Anacostia museum in my neighborhood. I’m just trying to see what I can do with a grant? Thanks.

• John Fenn
      August 31, 2021 at 11:13 am

Greetings, and thanks for your query! We encourage all perspective applicants to review the NOFO instructions, paying particular attention to Sections D and E, and FAQs before submitting their application. Please note that the focus of the Community Collections grant program is about documenting a cultural activity or experience in the community that is happening in the present from their perspective. The community might be geographic, cultural, familial or related by age or experience.

10. D. Kevin McNeir
    September 5, 2021 at 9:28 pm

I am aq descendant of the Adkins family from Charles City, VA and my great-grandfather was a member of the Chickahominy tribe. According to family history, he was put out of the tribe upon marrying a Black woman. They would have 8 or 9 children. My grandfather, one of their children, looked very much like a Native American and in fact, was the first person of color to work for the Restoration in what would become Colonia Williamsburg. Interesting enough, his wife, my grandmother, a Black woman born in Baltimore, worked for many years in the Stryker home in Williamsburg as the family’s maid. Mr. Stryker would serve as the City’s mayor for many years.
    In this project, I am interested in the relationship between and perspectives about the intermarriage of Native Americans and African Americans.
    One of my cousins has attended the tribe’s annual pow-wow in Providence Forge which unfortunately has been canceled this year because of COVID. I am in the process of contacting my cousin and other family members who have documents, photographs, etc. My mother, born an Adkins before marrying my father (she is now deceased) shared stories with me about meeting the chief during one pow-wow, whose name was Adkins. These kinds of lost or obscured histories are of great value to me and to so many other Americans,Blacks in particular, as we attempt to learn more about who we are and from whom we come.